Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Towpath Marathon Volunteers Still Needed

I still could use a few more volunteers! If you are running this race and have a spouse or child old enough to help please let me know. This weekend is a busy one and I am having trouble lining up 10 people.

Details Below:
Thank you so much to all of you who have volunteered to help at the Towpath marathon aid station near Boston Store for the 10k and marathon. Race is October 12th and starts at 8 AM so we need to be at the Boston Store overflow lot around 7:30 to give us time to get to the aid station and set up which is about 1.5 miles walk down the towpath.

I still could use a few more volunteers! If you are running this race and have a spouse or child old enough to help please let me know. This weekend is a busy one and I am having trouble lining up 10 people.

Note that this is the first time I have worked a marathon aid station, it is obviously a bit different than an ultra station! If any of you have done this before and have an idea of how long it takes to get set up please let me know! I made my current estimates based on what the race told me.

I would like to start pouring water/gatorade by 8 AM at the latest. If you plan to jog to the aid station it will likely take you 10-15 minutes to get from the parking lot to there. I walked it and it took me 25 minutes. Our aid station is on the towpath about 1.5 miles south of Boston Store. (towards the highway bridge and pine lane) We are just past the long boardwalk section of the towpath. Please let me know if you don't know where this is. If we can all arrive as a group at 7:30 this will guarantee we all get to the right place.

The station in approximately mile 2 of the marathon and it is approximately mile 4.5 of the 10k. We are also the 10k turn around. Likely we will have some overlap of the two races. Our primary goals are to keep water and gatorade filled and passed out to runners, as well as make sure that all 10k runners turn around and head back to Boston Store.

Once that traffic clears we will have to wait for the lead marathon runners to come back through. We will be approximately mile 14 on the way back (I am waiting for details on exact miles from the race).

My best guess on times will be (I will adjust after I get confirmed mileage from the race and take a look at least years splits):
Leave cars between 7:30 and 7:45.
Start pouring cups between 7:45 and 8 AM.
First marathon runner arrives approximately 8:10 AM-8:15 AM, last marathon runner goes through first time around 8:30 AM.
First 10k Runner arrives approximately 8:20 AM, Last 10k runner hits turn around approximately 9:20 (based on a 20 minute pace)
First Marathon Runner hits the aid station at mile 14 around 9:10 AM (based on 2:45 finishing time)
Last Marathon Runner hits the aid station at mile 14 around 11:15 AM (based on 6 hour cut off pace)

Huge thanks to those below who have offered to help out! If I don't have your t-shirt size yet please let me know what it is!

Confirmed Volunteers (Shirt size)
Gary
Celeste (m)
Rani
Patty (M)
Lloyd (M)
Andrea (S or WM)
Me (S)
Lou

Possible Volunteers:
Melissa
Tanya
Kelsey

No comments: